Established in 1959
Established in 1959-All the original members had been employees of Avro Canada. When the Avro Arrow program was cancelled in Feb 1959 the fire service staff transferred employment to Transport Canada the operator of the then Malton Aiport, which was renamed Toronto International Airport in 1960. The staff organized in 1959 and became IAFF Local F0082.
The Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) was established in 1966 and all employees of the federal government had to join PSAC. The staff remained employees of Transport Canada until operational control of the airport was transferred to the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) in Dec of 1996.
From 1966 until 1998, dedicated members (Paul Parker, Bill Ives and others) kept the affiliation with the IAFF alive. After the transfer of employment to the GTAA the membership began steps to break away from PSAC and rejoin the IAFF. After a few years with the Canadian Labour Congress the membership rejoined the IAFF as Local 4382.
The Pearson Airport Professional Fire Fighters Association are also members of the Ontario Professional Fire Fighters Association (OPFFA).
Thank you for visiting our site.
We are striving to build strong labour relations, provide guidance to our membership, and contribute to the safety of Toronto Pearson.